Wednesday, May 16, 2007

RIP Jean

Today I heard news that one of the "Old Girls" from my church in Hobart died on Sunday.

Jean was 87, and one of the infamous "Sandy Bay Ladies who do Lunch" after church (affectionately known to me as my "Old Girls"). For a number of years these ladies went to a local cafe for lunch after church each Sunday, and I remember when they first asked me to join them, I quipped that they only wanted me because my presence would lower the average age of the group by about 30 years!

Jean was a core member and organiser of this group, and a tough old bird: a single lady who, even in the later years when her health was dodgy to say the least, was fiercely independent, and insistent on staying in her own flat, living alone and looking after herself.

She eventually had one too many visits to hospital, and her family and doctor managed to convince her to move into a nursing home a few months ago. No matter how frail her physical health, she was still sharp as a tack, and you could always tell there was plenty going on behind those piercing blue eyes.

Now Jean is with her Lord, and that has to be a good thing, no matter how much we might miss her.

No comments: