Monday, October 06, 2008

Vale, Abbot Placid



I received news this morning that Fr Placid Spearritt, Abbot of the Benedictine community of New Norcia WA, died suddenly on Saturday afternoon (UK time). Abbot Placid was visiting Ampleforth Abbey on his way home from some meetings in Italy, when he collapsed and died, after feeling unwell on Friday. He had just recently turned 75.

After meeting him on my first visit to New Norcia, I looked up to Abbot Placid as a wise monk, scholar and servant of God; and see his servant leadership as a role model that I hope to be able to emulate in my own ministry.

However, despite the shock and sadness at news of his death, I can't help but smile at the thought that Placid's death was consistent with his life: straight to the point, and no mucking about.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the community of New Norcia at this very sad and difficult time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Placid was my friend. He stayed with me for a few days before. We talked much. What you say makes you smile makes me smile too.