Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Double sadness

I am currently on holidays in Tasmania, but am aware that people may be wondering about what's happening re the current Vic bushfire situation.

I am due to commence my placement in Myrtleford-Beechworth in early March, and so expect to hit the ground running when I get there. At this stage I am conscious that the fires have affected pretty much all of my future parish, with Beechworth, Yackandandah and Stanley especially affected, and I think, still at risk from the current fire situation.

I am also aware that one couple from the Myrtleford congregation have lost their home. I'm not sure if there have been any other losses, but guess I'll find out soon enough.

I am feeling a tad frustrated, as if teels a bit obscene to be here in (Raining) Tassie, having a holiday, whilst my future parishoners are facing such terrible things in the face of the bushfires; but as a wise Presbytery Minister pointed out to me, the time for caring action will come when I get there, so until then, I am keeping the people of the parish (and other fire affected areas) in my prayers, and trying to enjoy my holiday, and recharge, relax and recreate so that when I get up to Myrtleford, I will be of use to the folk there.

On a different, but also sad note, I heard today the tragic news that my dear friend, Dom Glenn Swallow, a monk of New Norcia, took his life over the weekend. This came as an utter shock to me, and to others who knew and loved Glenn. At this stage funeral details are not known, but I am hoping that it will be sometime next week, and am hoping to get to WA for it.

I will write more once I get home and things settle down a bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Caro, I can't imagine what you're struggling with at the moment. Worried about you're immanent ministry, but the news about Glenn is devestating. I have no words beyond that, because its beyond comprehension. My love and prayers to you my friend, Susan

Sarah said...

Caro, I just wanted to let you know that I share your sadness. I didn't want to leave message about Glenn's death in case you didn't already know.
Such a tragic and unfathomable thing...
We continue to pray with and for Glenn, the New Norcia community and all those struggling to understand.
With love, Sarah