Friday, March 01, 2013

Feeling flat

It's been a busy week. The house is on the market, I have made some of the plans for my big European adventure, and today I finished cleaning out Mum's wardrobe, and took a car full of bags of clothes, shoes and manchester to the op shop. 

This week I have also sent formal notifications of Mum's death to a variety of organisations, companies etc that she has had dealings with. At one level, it feels like I have achieved a lot this week, but at another, I am even more overwhelmed by the amount of work still to do.

Inspired by this purging, and feeling enthused to continue, I turned my attention to my computer, where I came across a folder of material connected with an old friend I used to be close to, but am not any more. Most of the files were connected with old projects I had worked on for him, but amongst those were some old emails, photos and other correspondence, which I had kept for some reason.

Looking through these files brought back some memories of happier times; and was a reminder of how suddenly and completely things can change, even in the most seemingly stable and deep friendship. As I deleted all these files, I felt again the loss of that particular relationship, but also a sense of freedom, and letting go.

But with all of these things, I'm feeling a bit flat. It probably doesn't help that the hot, humid weather these past few days has made it hard to sleep, so I'm also very tired. It all feels a bit like one step forward and two steps back, but still I keep moving forward. Tomorrow I must do another spruce up of the house to prepare for Saturday's open home, so that will probably get me out of my head for the day.

No comments: