Thursday, December 28, 2006

In the formal quiet

One of the experiences I have been privileged to have during my placement was to plan and lead a mid-week communion service at Pilgrim UCA (in the centre of Launceston city).

The mid-week communion service happens each Wednesday at lunchtime and is usually a simple, 45 minute service, led by one of the Launceston UCA ministers on a kind of roster basis.

As I'm not yet ordained, I am not able to preside over the communion itself, but I led the bulk of the service, and Tony Duncan, the minister from Pilgrim, presided over the communion, and I helped to serve.

It was a lovely experience, and reinforced the growing appreciation I am developing for worship using a formal, reflective liturgy. We sang a few songs, mostly Taize chants, and one simple hymn, all unaccompanied.

Through experiences such as this, and a few others I have had during my placement, I have also come to really appreciate the great gift I have in my voice, and what an important tool for ministry that it is, and will be in my future ministry. Whilst I have no delusions or aspirations to diva-hood, I am grateful that my voice can carry a tune, and is strong enough to be heard, and to lead in such situations where it may be the only 'musical instrument' available.

No comments: