Friday, November 30, 2007

The fine line between pleasure and pain

WARNING - THIS BLOG POST CONTAINS REFERENCES TO FEMALE HAIR REMOVAL AND OTHER GIRLY BEAUTY THINGS - COULD BE SCARY FOR MALES!!!


DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU!!
:-)

Today I had a day off from my placement at the hospital, because I am rostered on for duty on Sunday. If anyone asks me what I did on my day off, I'm not sure exactly how truthful to be.

The first errand on my list for this morning (and it was errmmm late morning by the time I got out of the house :-) was to get my legs waxed. I was aiming to get a full leg wax, but because the beautician at my local pharmacy was pressed for time, I had to settle for a half leg wax (ie from the knees down), or else come back later in the afternoon for the full leg, which I didn't really want to do.

As I was lying on the beautician's couch, chatting away to her as she violently ripped all the hairs on my legs out of their places, it occurred to me that there was something kind of enjoyable about the kind of pain I experienced as she did that.

Maybe I really am becoming a masochist, or maybe I just have a macabre sense of .. umm.. something... because I really find it fascinating to feel the sensation of the hairs coming out, roots and all ... and then looking at the evidence of their removal on the wax strip.

There's a similar sense of satisfaction in the feeling as I pluck my eyebrows, and feel (and see) the individual hairs come out of their sockets. I also get the same fascination from those blackhead removal strips that you put across your nose, and leave until it dries, and then rip it off, pulling with it the gunge from the pores on the nose... I just love looking at the debris that comes away on that strip after it's been removed.

Mind you, as the hair came away from the backs of my knees (one of the more sensitive spots), I was kind of relieved that my beautician didn't have time to do my whole legs, as my legs seem to get more sensitive (and hairier) higher up my thighs, and I don't know that I would have enjoyed the feeling of all of that hair being ripped out today.

So maybe I'm only slightly masochistic... I guess we all have to have limits.

2 comments:

BB said...

You're not a masochist, Car, you're just SICK! SICK! SICK! SICK!

Caro said...

Thanks, BB. From you that's a compliment ;-)