Saturday, March 29, 2008

Got... to... sing...

Because this is my Exit Year at Theological College, (so I have lots of things on my plate), and in the light of a few changes that have happened with the Melbourne Chorale this year (namely, that the Chorale has morphed into the MSO Chorus, and now rehearses at a different venue which is not really convenient for me to get to any more), I have decided to withdraw from singing with the Chorale this year.

So, on the upside, this means my Monday nights are now free on a regular basis, but the downside is that it means I only have one regular singing outlet: the Queen's College choir. It's ironic, that I was originally toying with the idea of dropping out of the Queen's Choir at the end of last year, but now that the changes to the Chorale, combined with my overall emotional 'hangover' from the end of last year, have made it feel just too hard to keep singing with Chorale, I will be clinging to Queen's choir quite enthusiastically.

Whilst I will miss things like singing larger works, with a good orchestra in big venues, the only serious regret I have in leaving the Chorale is missing out on singing Handel's Messiah at the end of the year under the baton of Graham Abbott, which is always a wonderfully satisfying experience. So I guess I'll have to enjoy it from the audience this time.

And whilst Queen's doesn't sing any huge works, I have found the practice of having to prepare and sing different pieces every week to be an interesting challenge; and of course the worship element is also a huge plus, as I still really enjoy the style of worship, supported by choir, that we have at Queen's chapel.

So, after the uni break, and my time away in Sydney, I look forward to getting back into the sing! :-)

No comments: