Friday, March 28, 2008

Just call me Perry...

... that would be Peripatetic..

I'm now back home in Melbourne, after my week in Hobart (which just flew by. It seemed like I had only just arrived when it was time to leave and head home again).

Having caught my breath for a week or so, I will be off again next Wed, to Sydney, but more about that in a later post.

My time in Hobart allowed me to span the Strait for Holy Week, spending Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday and Good Friday in Hobart, with Easter Saturday Vigil and Easter Day back in Melbourne. Considering that this will be the last Easter for a very long time indeed, when I will have the lux
ury of being a pew-sitter (rather than the "minister" leading worship through Holy Week) I think it was an admirable effort. Two cities, three churches and a very serious dose of the grief of Christ's Passion served up in the worship of the Maundy Thursday Tenebrae service, and the Good Friday worship.

But my visit to Hobart wasn't all about church (only mostly :-)

I also managed to catch up with a number of friends (but not everyone that I was hoping to see... sorry Lou, didn't make it to Kingston :-(... discovered an amazing new Chinese restaurant in Sandy Bay with Katrina (gotta love an establishment that, when you order a gin & tonic, asks whether you would prefer Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray... *sigh* :-).

Of course, I did manage to do the mandatory lap of Chickenfeed; have Eggs Benedict at the Machine Cafe in Salamanca Square, and go shopping for earrings in Thumbprint in the Elizabeth Mall (which was disappointing, as their stock seemed grossly overpriced compared to the last time I shopped there).

All of these familiar activities, built on the sense of 'coming home' I experienced on arrival (gotta love that gust of Antarctic wind as you step onto the tarmac at Hobart airport!), and on the taxi ride from the airport to Battery Point where I was staying. Despite the brevity of the visit, it was good to be home, and I realised how much I have missed the place and the people.

Note to self: get back to Hobart more regularly!

No comments: