Tuesday, April 22, 2008

the carbon footprint

I received my gas bill today.

I was somewhat bemused to note that during the past 63 days, I have used a mere 81c worth of gas.

Of course, the total bill comes to much more than that, as there is a supply charge of just over $20 for this billing period, which means that approximately 96% of my bill is due to supply charge, and only 4% is actual energy usage.

This seemingly ludicrous situation comes about because the only gas appliances I have are my stove and heater. Since I haven't used the heater in the past 2 months, this means I have done 81c worth of cooking in the past 2 months,... although the percentages will change very soon, as the weather gets chilly, and I start to use the heater again.

Unfortunately, my electricity bills are not quite in the same ball park as my gas bills (if only! :-)


No comments: