Monday, January 19, 2009

A surprise gift

Today I received a parcel in the mail, from a friend in the US. I was quite surprised when I collected it from the postoffice, as it was quite heavy for an international airmail parcel (and must have cost a fortune to post).

When I got home and opened the box, I was delighted to find a collection of books, of various shapes and sizes, all individually wrapped in Christmas paper.

As I started unwrapping the parcels, I discovered a lovely collection of books mainly on topics of contemplative spirituality, some of a Benedictine flavour, some by Thomas Merton, and some others by Quaker authors. One of the latter is a history of American Quaker women and feminism, and looks like it will be quite an interesting read.

During the course of my studies, I have been building a frighteningly large collection of "books to read when I finish studying"; various novels (trashy and otherwise) and other books on pastoral ministry, prayer, theology (I will read Moltmann's The Crucified God this year!). However I think some of today's arrivals will enter the "To Be Read" pile quite close to the top.

No comments: