Monday, August 27, 2012

Supremely blessed

Today was a full day. As much as I like to have a leisurely sleep-in when I stay at nice hotels, I was up at 8am today (which is early for me), when my breakfast was delivered, and I was fed, watered, showered and out the door by 9am.

Worship at Brunswick Uniting Church was a great experience (although I'm still getting used to the different feel of the lovely light worship space since the renovations to the church building). I also enjoyed catching up with lots of lovely people whom I haven't seen for a while. I worshipped at Brunswick during the three years of my theological studies and loved being part of that large and diversely-gifted congregation.

After worship, it was off to Doncaster for lunch with some friends whom I also haven't seen for a while- we worked out that the last time was when they travelled to Hobart for my ordination, about 2.5 years ago. The kids have grown so much,and it was great that they could have fun in the special children's play area in the Doncaster Hotel, whilst the rest of us had some good grown up time together.

Back to my hotel room to put the feet up and relax for an hour or so before going out for dinner. I had dinner tonight with a couple who are actually the parents of a friend of mine, who I met through the church in Hobart. This couple were my first out of town visitors when I moved to Myrtleford, as they are avid bike riders and were in the area for a special bike ride on the March long weekend. We've kept in touch, and it's always delightful to spend time with them (and needless to say it was reasonably late when I left their place to head back to my hotel).

We talked about all kinds of things; about Mum and her progress, about news from their family, and lots of talk about relationships of various kinds; good and bad; healthy and broken; new and longstanding. We talked about the various fallouts from relationships that go wrong, and how it can sometimes get complicated when there are mutual friends, but that sometimes these difficult relationships can have beneficial side-effects when the friendships we form with others because of these relationships turn out to be something of value and support. (and they said to me, "we're glad, at one level, that our daughter married the man that she did- even though the marriage ended painfully- because it was through that relationship that we got to know you".)

So, after such a day, and so many loving and affirming conversations, I am feeling supremely blessed.
Tomorrow I will have a relaxing massage before heading back to Sydney. It's been a great few days: busy, and full of interactions with lots of people; and I'm grateful to have had the opportunity for this break, but now I'm looking forward to getting back to Mum, and seeing what the doctor has to say on Tuesday.


No comments: