Thursday, October 25, 2012

Home, there's no place like it

On Monday this week Mum went into hospital for some symptom management, and as she is going to be there for over a week, I thought I'd take the opportunity to head home to Myrtleford and Beechworth for a flying visit (and an overnighter to Melbourne to catch up with my favourite kidlet, Miss Sophia... oh,  and her parents ;-)

Today has been a lovely day. Pottering around the house, and doing three loads of washing (towels, sheets and clothes that have been languishing about the place since I went to Sydney in July). I was also rather pleased and impressed that the house hasn't been overtaken by arachnids, cockroaches and other pesties, and apart from a slight musty smell from being locked up for so long, the house is pretty much as I left it.

This morning whilst pottering about the house, I had a visit from a couple of Myrtleford parishioners, and it was lovely to catch up with them and hear some of the news of what's been happening in my absence. Then I had lunch at Cafe Fez (including a pot of their legendary Moroccan Mint Tea).

In the afternoon, I met up with a group of folks from the Myrtleford church for afternoon tea at the Alpine Gate Cafe. It was good to chat and talk about what's been happening for them, as well as bringing them up to date on the latest news about Mum.

After this, I went out to visit a lady whose husband passed away recently, and we spent a precious time together remembering, laughing, crying, praying, and talking about all manner of things.

When I got home, I had a bit of a frolic in the manse garden. In my absence the lovely man who mows my lawns and keeps the garden under control has been doing his thing (and it looks as though his last visit was not very long ago). I noticed that the rose bush in the back yard was starting to bloom, so I got out my secateurs and cut some of the buds, so that I can enjoy them inside whilst I'm here. When I was doing this, I noticed that the rose bushes were being strangled by sticky weed, so I got my gloves on and enjoyed a very therapeutic 15 minutes or so of ripping the sticky weed out by the roots. Very satisfying it was, too.

The day concluded with some yummy takeaway noodles from the local Chinese, and a phone call to Mum, who has had a full day, with a number of visitors dropping in, and some of them even bringing flowers, which we both had a giggle about.

(There's a story here: When Mum was first admitted to the hospital on Monday, she was placed in a lovely single room, with huge windows that give a lovely view, lots of light - and they even open to let in fresh air. There is a broad window ledge, which visitors can sit on if required. Mum's first comment was, "I'd better get lots of flowers while I'm in here". When I asked her why, she replied, "well, look at that ledge, lots of space for flowers to brighten up the room."

So the next morning, I took in a lovely arrangement of green-toned orchids, and since then, have been dropping lots of very unsubtle hints to various friends and neighbours about taking some flowers in to Mum when they visit.)

Tomorrow, I drive to Melbourne, where I will stay in my favourite hotel, the Grand. I intend to set out early enough to check in at the earliest possible opportunity, and make use of the pool and spa at the hotel, and maybe even have a luxurious soak in the bath before heading out to dinner (and being sure to arrive early enough to have some quality reading and cuddle time with Miss Sophia before dinner).

I am so grateful for the opportunity to have this little break: the knowledge that Mum is being well cared for in my absence so I really can relax; the chance to reacquaint myself with 'home' (and pick up some more summery clothes and other bits and pieces to take back to Sydney with me).

No comments: