Saturday, October 13, 2012

Simple things, small things, things to be grateful for

As Mum's strength and energy continue to wane, I have so much to be grateful for.

I am grateful for the team from Greenwich; for Robyn the RN, for Alyssia the OT, for Hanna and Cam the physios, for Geoff the psychologist, for Ruth and Kat the doctors and everyone else on the team. I am grateful for the efficiency, patience and compassion with which they have cared for Mum and for me so far.

I am grateful for the shiny green wheelie-walker that has enabled Mum to be more confident to move around the house since her fall last week, and, the shower chair that will also help her to maintain her independence for a little longer.

I am grateful for the Shanghai Rolex Masters tennis comp, and the golf tournaments in exotic places like Turkey and Portugal that no-one has ever heard of, that have been keeping Mum amused since we got Foxtel on our TV earlier this week.

I am grateful for the box of fruit and veges that I found on the front porch this morning, and other gifts of food from loving neighbours and friends. Even though the main purpose of these fresh yummies is to try to tempt Mum to eat, the givers are well aware of the fact that I am most likely to be the one who benefits most from them, so it's a gift of love for me too.

I am grateful for the love of friends and family who come to visit (often travelling significant distances to get here), or call to see how we're going; and that I had a long phone conversation this afternoon with a cousin whom I haven't seen or spoken to for longer than I can remember.

I'm grateful for the colourful and cheeky lorikeets that squawk and squeal to be fed, and for the especially tame pair that come right up the steps to the back deck and warble gently at me for food; and for all the different birds (and the water dragons) in our backyard, all of whom remind me that there is a strong and vibrant life going on in the world around us, in contrast to the journey towards death that I am taking with Mum.

I'm grateful for the support of my church congregations back home, who regularly send me emails, letters and call me to assure me of their care and prayers; and also for the church family at North Ryde Community Church, who have welcomed me among them, and offered care and support.

I'm grateful for the 'Princess of Pain' (aka Linda, the gym trainer) who has helped me to work out an exercise program at the local gym, and the opportunity to get out and use my body in ways that it hasn't experienced in a long time.

So, when I think about it, there is an awful lot to be thankful for (and I have really only scratched the surface here- many things and people I haven't mentioned). 

No comments: