Saturday, December 22, 2012

It's time...

"If you want to say goodbye to Mum before she dies, I suggest you come up sooner, rather than later. Her time is close."

These are words that I never in a million years imagined I would ever be saying. But I said them a number of times today, as I rang various friends and relatives to let them know how drastically Mum's condition has declined during the past few days.

So, this morning, the parade of final farewells began. And this afternoon, thankfully, Mum was finally moved from the four-bed, shared ward into a private room. So we will at least be able to enjoy some peace and quiet, and privacy, during her last days.

Despite having many months to get used to the fact that Mum is going to die, and six months of living here in Sydney with her, witnessing first hand the gradual decline of her health, there's still a part of me that just can't believe that she is really dying, and doing it NOW.

I guess it will take a while yet before I fully manage to take it all in and accept it. 

1 comment:

rebecca said...

I really feel for you Caro! I am still dealing with it. I'm so glad Narelle put me in touch with you.