Thursday, January 11, 2007

Time flies, even faster...

I have been in Queenstown for almost a week now, and feel that I have settled in and well and been getting a good feel for the place.

I have had good feedback from the service I led on Sunday (see the picture of the church, right). However, I will probably opt for using the recorded music next week, as it will help people to feel less self-conscious when they sing.

I have done some pastoral visiting around the town, and am planning an evening event for the young people of the congregation for Saturday night.

Queenstown is actually quite a lovely place, and it's interesting that most of the people I have met here so far have lived here for most of their lives, and seem to have quite a fondness for the place.

The Uniting Church here is struggling a bit, with declining numbers (and a young family that has been very involved in the church leaving for Hobart later this month), and they have also been without a permanent minister here for quite some time. Fortunately, that will change soon, as a new minister, Gaye Loftus, will be inducted for the West Coast Patrol (incorporating Queenstown, Smithton and associated congregations) in late February.

Above is the manse where I am staying whilst here in Queenstown.

No comments: