Saturday, February 16, 2008

Just call me a gadabout!

There must be something about being on holidays, as I have had my mind firmly on looking ahead to plan my future holidays!

First, I booked my flights for a visit to Hobart in the mid-semester break over Easter, and now today, I booked airfares to go to Perth in July, so I can revisit New Norcia. I spent a week in New Norcia last July as part of a study unit on Benedictine Prayer and Hospitality, and fell in love with the place.

I became a "Friend of New Norcia" and also befriended one of the monks, who was recognised as a novice (the technical term is to be "clothed" as a novice) during my visit there last year, and is due to make his simple profession on July 11, the Feast of St Benedict. Since I have been dying to get back to New Norcia, I figured this celebration would be as good an excuse to get over there as anything, so I sproinged into action and booked the flights.

The way various things have worked out, I will be attending a retreat the weekend prior to the 11th July, and hopefully staying in New Norcia for almost a fortnight, which will certainly give me another great, in depth taste of life in the monastery, which I loved so much last time.

On my last visit, it felt like I was only just getting the hang of the rhythm of the prayer cycle and daily offices after a week, so being there a little longer this time round will be great :-)

2 comments:

BB said...

you "sproinged" into action? that's a new one on me...am green with envy on the re-visit to New Norcia, though! ;0)

Caro said...

Yairs, it's a technical term, kind of like springing into action, but more weighty.

And as for New Norcia, there's always the UFT course next year (which takes care of the ordination requirement for an Aust church history unit)... and for candidates, the college covers all the costs of the UFT unit fees and accommodation at NN, and reimburses you for half of the cost of travel to WA.