Thursday, September 06, 2012

It takes a village (or a lot of Reverends) to raise a child

I've been thinking a lot lately about the needs of children. As I read about both sides of the 'marriage equality debate' using the needs and welfare of children to score political points in their arguments, I can't help but feel angry at some of the outrageous claims that are being made. (Same-sex marriage will result in a new 'Stolen Generation'? Really? Give me strength!)

In the midst of all this, I have experienced lots of warm and fuzzy feelings as I contemplate the life of my favourite little person, and I want to share some of this. I don't usually name names in my blog, but on this occasion I will make an exception, and hope the people concerned don't mind.

Miss Sophia was born about 14mths ago, and her parents, Sandy and Brendan are good friends of mine, both are ordained ministers in the Uniting Church with whom I studied at theological college.

Miss Sophia with her parents, Brendan and Sandy, soon after she was born

Sophia is a gorgeous child, who never fails to charm everyone with whom she comes into contact. I fell in love with her at first sight, and every time I'm in Melbourne I try to take advantage of the opportunity for some cuddle time with her (and grown-up catch-up time with her parents). Being the clucky type that I sometimes can be, I posted some photos of me with Sophia when she was young, and always mention on Facebook when I get the chance to spend some time with her. This prompted another friend, Avril, (who like me is also a minister and single female) to mount a gentle challenge for the title of Sophia's 'Favourite Reverend Aunty'. So we compare notes, being sure to let each other know whenever one of us has spent some time with the lovely Miss Sophia. But I think the reality is that we are both her Favourite Reverend Aunties (and she probably has other favourites too, because she's that kind of popular girl :-)

Miss Sophia recently celebrated her first birthday, and soon after that, I was in Melbourne, and so arrangements were made for a celebratory get together including Sophia, her parents and her two Favourite Reverend Aunties. So picture the scene of four ministers and a painfully cute child, 'doing' Lygon St. It was great fun, and we all had a lovely time. (But next time, I really think the grown ups need to wear dog-collars, just to make it look a bit surreal).


Food is indeed a serious business, as Aunty Caro and Aunty Avril feed Miss Sophia

In addition to her Ratbag Reverend Aunties, Sophia also has a pair of equally mad Reverend Uncles (Tupe and Ikani), who also studied with Brendan and Sandy at theological college. 

For as long as I can remember, there have been jokes around the church about the perils of being a 'PK' (Preacher's Kid... or in Sophia's case, Preachers' Kid). So poor Sophia has no escape, being totally surrounded by clergy (and she has even picked up a one-day-per-week Reverend Nanny... as in child-carer). So she's really doomed... or is she?

Sandy once commented to me how thrilled she is that I have taken such an interest in Sophia and am so keen to be part of her life, and I know that Sandy and Brendan are equally thrilled that so many others are also keen to be part of Sophia's life. And I have to say that I just love hanging out with Sophia. She has recently started to walk, she loves to have stories read, and loves playing with the longsuffering Lucy the dog.


Every child should be so blessed, to have so many people in their lives to surround them with a mantle of love and care and fun.

A little while ago, Avril announced that when Sophia turns 14, her Reverend Aunties are going to take her away for a weekend of Cool Girlstuff Business (or something like that). As much as I can't wait for this to happen, it did occur to me that when Miss Sophia turns 14, I will be 60. But I will be a very cool and hip and groovy 60-year old, so that will be ok.

The cool chicks ;-)

1 comment:

Caro said...

And since writing this original post, I can now report that Miss Sophia is making great progress in learning to say, "Caro".

Who's her favourite Reverend Aunty then? ;-)