Sunday, March 04, 2007

A rich and diverse 'Sabbath' experience

Tonight was the first regular Sunday Evening Prayer service at Queen's College Chapel for the year. I really enjoyed singing with the Queen's choir, and worshipping on Sunday nights at Queens through last semester, and am very glad to be back into it again for this year.

Despite it being rather hot and a little stuffy in the chapel, the season (and Daylight Saving), means that the stained glass windows were beautifully illuminated by the evening sun, which enhanced the worship experience for me.

The choir's anthem tonight was Tallis' Lamentations of Jeremiah, which was a challenging sing, but rather lovely (albeit a little imperfect in rendition), and the Acting Dean of Chapel, Robert Gribben, gave a very inspiring sermon on the topic of Lent and the significance of Lenten disciplines and using this time to draw closer to God.

Lent is something that I have often struggled to get my head around. Whilst I have understood for some time now, the significance of the season as a preparation for contemplating the death and resurrection of our Lord that we celebrate at Easter, the concept of fasting, or 'giving something up for Lent' has always rankled with me.

I know this is a throwback to my Brethren roots (which in this matter are very strong and long-lasting!). When I was in the Brethren, none of the traditions or seasons of the Church were ever observed, and I have vivid memories of one leader in that church dismissing the concept of Lent as nothing but a 'crawl job to God' (the rationale being ,that if we want to make a special effort to do something extra virtuous for this brief period, isn't that a bit hypocritical, because, surely as good Christians, we should aim to live consistent lives of virtue all the time, and not just for special occasions).

Whilst I strongly agree that it's hugely important for Christians to live lives that are consistent with their faith- all the time and not just on Sundays- I have over the past dozen years or so developed a great appreciation for the symbolism and help that can be found in church traditions and seasons such as Lent, and also the concept of having a regular Sabbath (which provides an important time to wind down, and step out of the regular busy-ness to be in a place, or do something that will help connect with God, and refresh the spirit to energise us to face the coming week.)

For me, my Queen's chapel worship tonight was such a Sabbath experience, and I thank God for it.

No comments: