Sunday, March 25, 2007

A sudden bout of homesickness

I arrived in Hobart last night, and (after enjoying an extra hour in bed, thanks to the end of Daylight Saving) as I lingered over breakfast this morning, staring across the river to the Hobart CBD out the window of my friend Rosalind's Howrah home, it occurred to me how intensely I am missing this place. It was quite a surprise, as until now, I hadn't really felt any intense homesickness, but it snuck up and whacked me big time this morning.

Melbourne is so flat and boring in so many ways, but in Hobart, no matter where you go, there is a great view, either of the river, Mt Wellington (or other mountain/hilly scenery) or both. And SPACE... lots of space! :-)

Again, as I walked into the Sandy Bay Uniting Church (my 'home' congregation here) to worship, and saw all of the familiar faces, it hit me again, and I nearly burst into tears (all the time cursing the fact I was wearing non-waterproof mascara!)

In a way I am quite relieved at this intensity, as I was starting to feel it a bit strange that I hadn't yet felt any serious homesickness since moving to Melbourne, and it also feels kind of nice... because although I am happy living in Melbourne, and feel at home there, there is something special about still feeling a particular connection to Hobart in parallel to that.

Gee I love this place!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the perils of non-waterproof mascara!!

Still, I believe I know just how you feel. It's lovely to think that a Sydney-sider could have grown so fond of my birthplace.