Friday, November 09, 2012

Friendship

Friendship is an interesting thing. I know I've said this before, but it never ceases to amaze me how God brings people into my life at different times, in different ways, and how significant those people can be.

Through the years, there have been quite a few people with whom I have had a special bond, and who, for the life of me, I really don't know how or why we should have become so close.

Back in the 80s, when I was working for Fusion, there was a couple of other Fusion workers who were based on the other side of the country. I can't remember how it came about, but they commenced supporting me financially, and we exchanged newsletters, and there was a bond. I cried when their son, who had cystic fibrosis, died at the age of 12 after an unsuccessful liver transplant. That was in 1989. We still keep in touch.

When I was living in Melbourne, I became friends with a man who worshipped at the same church I did, and lived a couple of blocks away in my street. I enjoyed his extravagant 'hospitality of the BBQ' on many occasions, and again a bond formed. He sold his house in Melbourne and moved to France to start a new life with the woman of his dreams, and when he finally proposed to her formally, and gave her the ring he'd had made specially, the first call from France to Australia that he made to share the good news was to me. After he'd shared the news with me, he said he would then call his family to tell them. He and his wife have stayed with me in Myrtleford when they have been in Australia and passing through. When I travelled to England and France, I stayed with them and had a wonderful time in the south of France (and am looking forward to a return visit). 

And now, I have connected with a new friend via Facebook. We kind of knew each other back when I was in Hobart (although neither of us can remember ever actually meeting, but Hobart is the kind of place where everyone seems to know each other, especially in the Church). There's a certain closeness that's developing between us, as he grapples with some significant issues in his life, and I am here in Sydney grappling with my mother's declining health. Our chats provide mutual support, as when we talk about his stuff, he gets the chance to share, and have a listening ear, and I get to talk to someone about something other than my own issues. When we talk about my stuff, I get the chance to share and be heard, and he gets the chance to talk to someone about something other than his stuff. It works well for both of us.

Tonight as we were chatting, he made a profound discovery about himself, and how some of his behaviours affect other significant people in his life. It was a great privilege to be part of that process. All I did was listen to him, and ask a few questions about what he was telling me- simple reflective listening, (via written word in live chat on the internet). The resultant personal discovery was something that neither of us was expecting.

In this specific incident, in all of these friendships, and in so many other things, I continue to find that God is indeed a God of surprises.


No comments: