Monday, November 19, 2012

She cracks me up

One of the aids Mum has to make life a little easier for her is a railing that attaches to the side of her bed, so she can pull herself up, and lower herself down into bed. It's great, and she really appreciates the help it is to her. But having this railing on the side of the bed means that at night when I help Mum into bed, and she's lying down, I have to lean over the railing to kiss her goodnight. Sometimes it's a bit of a stretch, especially as I didn't inherit Mum's height, and I'm not exactly thin. On some nights, as I stretch up on tippy toes to lean over the rail, Mum has said things like, "Don't fall on me".

Tonight, she was holding onto the rail, and as I went to lean over, she moved her hand, so that it was on the section of rail I was about to lean over... then I changed my angle of attack to avoid squashing her hand, but she moved it too, and it was a bit like a wacky waltz for a minute, where I kept bumping into her hand, and Mum said, "you do get in the way, don't you?" at which point I just lost it. 

I got the giggles.

Which made it even more difficult to lean over the railing to kiss Mum, and I missed her mouth the first time. 

And I giggled some more.

But eventually I managed to kiss her goodnight, and she settled down to sleep. 

These are precious moments, that I'm so grateful to be able to share with Mum.

No comments: