Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Spring has sprung... again... I think

Hmm... well after a bit of rollercoasting temperatures, it seems that spring has finally arrived properly (although now that I've said that, it will probably blow a gale, bucket down with rain and hail and reach a maximum of 10 degrees tomorrow).

The one thing I love about being back on the Big Island for spring, is the scent of the jasmine. Throughout my childhood in Sydney, I always had jasmine growing on the fence outside my bedroom window, and when it flowered and filled the air with its heavy scent, it was a sign that spring had arrived.

In Tassie, I discovered that there are different types of jasmine, that seem to flower all year round, so the scent of jasmine was not so strongly connected wtih spring... but here in Melbourne the jasmine is now out in full bloom, and I enjoy walking home from the tram stop, as there are some lovely specimens on fences in my street... reminds me of my childhood, those carefree days.... (and makes me forget for a moment that I still have a number of essays waiting to be written).

No comments: