Wednesday, September 12, 2007

An advantage of being married?

The other day I was reflecting to a friend that, although as a single person, I don't at all regret my lot in life, but it has occurred to me that there would be one distinct advantage to being married.

A married person (and of course we are assuming a good, healthy relationship here) would be in a position where he/she could take turns at being in charge/ taking responsibility/ making decisions; and wouldn't have to always be the one who had to make decisions or be responsible for their lives, on their own.

I think the one thing I like least about being single is the fact that the buck always stops with me, I can never relinquish responsibility for making a decision about my life to anyone else, and sometimes this can be so exhausting.

Today, I discovered another potential positive to being married (or at least living in a household with someone else). When you stuff up, and feel really crappy about it, and all you want is for someone to give you a big hug and tell you it will all be ok- there's someone there who can do that.

I could have used one of those hugs today.

3 comments:

BB said...

grass is always greener, Caro...the thing about a relationship is that you have to constantly negotiate and compromise...you can't have it all your own way (even when you're "in charge") and neither can the other person, so a lot of decisions are made by consensus, sometimes very grudgingly so...

but it is nice to have someone to snuggle with occasionally, especially when life gets you down...

Caro said...

Ah yes... but these are only two advantages of being married... I can list many more advantages of being single! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Dear Caro,
hug hug

At least no one moves your stuff!

Cheers -
Lauren