Sunday, September 09, 2007

The marvels of modern technology!

On a lighter note- I may have mentioned that I seem to be surrounded by a number of friends who are currently expecting babies (and the three couples who immediately spring to mind, it is the first child for all of them!)

Last night, one of these couples (complete with le bulge) came for dinner, and because I am the achetypal Queen of Clucky, I had instructed them to bring with them any pictures from ultrasound or the like that they might have, so I could cluck away to my heart's content...

Well- I think I hit serious pay dirt! Not just a photo, but a DVD with video footage of the ultrasound, complete with sound, so as we sat around my laptop watching the outline of the baby moving around in utero, we also had the running commentary from the doctor as he performed the scan, and answered the questions that my friends were asking him as he went.

We could even see cross sections of the baby's organs, including the chambers of the heart, as it beat happily away- how amazingly cool is that?!

But as cool as this technology is, it's not half as cool as the mere fact that this baby exists; and is growing and getting ready to make its* debut in the outside world in just a few weeks. Certainly put me in mind of the words of Psalm 139 (which just happened to be the Psalm set in today's Lectionary):

For it was you who formed my inward parts;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
that I know very well.
My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.

* This couple has chosen not to know the sex of their baby, and whilst after looking at the ultrasound, I could possibly hazard a guess, I have been instructed to keep my speculations to myself! :-)

No comments: