Sunday, June 17, 2007

Amazing Grace!

Tonight I saw the film Amazing Grace, the biopic story of William Wilberforce and his fight to introduce the bill abolishing slavery in England.

This was as part of the program for Wisdom's Feast, and we were told that we were the first paying audience in Australia to see the film, as it won't be released in Australia officially for another fortnight (originally scheduled for earlier, but apparently delayed).

It was a great film... I cried (of course) and drooled (well, Ioan Gruffudd was in it!), but it was a very uplifting story about how perseverance for what's right, even in the face of long-term opposition, will eventually bear fruit.

The organisers of Wisdom's Feast booked out one of the cinemas at the Nova in Carlton, (and the house was pretty full) and we were helped in our theological reflection on the film by Richard Lennard SJ, who is the director of the Catholic Film office (I think that's right) and lectures in cinema and theology for the UFT. The evening was capped off by John Bell leading us all in a rousing rendition of the hymn, Amazing Grace.

A good night was had by all! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I began my sermon on Sunday by talking about Amazing Grace, and particularly the scene in which a preacher is talking about abolition from the pulpit as the members of his congregation leave in disgust. I have a horrible suspicion that I'd be more likely to intervene in a situation of violence in a street (to respond to another of your entries) than to keep preaching something I believed in as a congregation walked out on me. I then tied that scene into the 30th anniversary of the Uniting Church, because I think that in some ways the UCA is that preacher, trying to interest Australians in situations of injustice as they ignore us or condemn us. But as a denomination we keep preaching the gospel as we understand it, even when that means we're accused of being unpatriotic or seditious. I think that's something for the UCA to celebrate as we turn 30.