Wednesday, June 13, 2007

So simple, yet so GOOD!

This morning, in an attempt to gird my loins for an afternoon and evening of solid work, (and also to fill my stomach in a quick and easy and warm way) I made a pot of soup. This last couple of weeks, as I have been working away at home most days on assignments etc (and because the weather has been a tad nippy), I have gotten into a bit of a soup-groove for lunch.

Some days I have had a mug of instant cuppa soup, and other days home made. A week or so ago I made a big pot of pea and ham soup, and froze a number of portions, and then last week a friend gave me some pumpkin from her parents' garden, so that became a very zesty pumpkin soup, also with some serves into the freezer. Today I made a pot of what must be one of the easiest (and cheapest!) soups I have ever made... from a monastic recipe passed on by a lecturer (as she made a pot for our class for lunch last Sat, when we had an all day meeting).

So I will share it with you-

Monastic Lentil Soup
6 cups of water or stock
(lecturer used "Vegeta" Gourmet stock powder, I used 3 Maggi chicken stock cubes)
1 onion, chopped
1 cup red lentils
zest of one lemon - plus juice, to taste
(I just added all the juice from the lemon, but it was a little strong, perhaps next time will either use a smaller lemon, or make double quantity for a larger lemon)

Chuck it all into a big pot, bring to boil and simmer until the lentils disintegrate (about half an hour).

I know, I hear you say, it sounds a bit bland... but let me tell you that it is incredibly tasty... without the need to add any extra seasoning or even salt or pepper.

Total cost- about $2-3, for a hearty pot that will serve 3-4 people (or more, depending on the serving size)

I usually serve my lunchtime soups with cheese on toast (but that's only because I finally got around to opening the gorgeous Ashgrove Farm Bush Pepper cheese that's been in my fridge for months, and I just couldn't resist it :-)

No comments: