Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Gotta love it...

... when people pay you to do something that you love.

Today I noticed that my bank balance seemed higher than I thought it should be, so thinking it was something mundane like a deposit from the real estate agent for rent on my Hobart flat (which I would need to transfer into my mortgage account), I had a closer look at my account details.

Woo-hoo- it was a deposit from Queen's College for my first semester choir honorarium.

I still think it feels a bit weird to be paid for being part of a congregation that worships God (which is effectively what the choir does), but hopefully I'll get over that before I finish my training to be a minister (where that is exactly what I'll be paid to do!)

Whilst the choir honorarium is not a huge amount (and certainly a pittance by professional standards, so it's a good thing I'm not a professional singer... for all kinds of reasons! :-), all things are relative, and as a student, this little extra bit of 'pocket money' has come at a very opportune time - to cover the cost of the books and other bits and pieces I bought during Wisdom's Feast. (and unlike income I receive from preaching and leading worship services, I have no qualms about spending this income on myself! :-)

After hearing Jana Childers speak about embodied preaching, I am very keen to get into one of her books I bought, Performing the Word: Preaching as Theatre (even signed by the author! :-).

Ahh... about to enter a brief period when I will have time to read for pleasure! :-)

No comments: