Thursday, July 19, 2012

A good day...

I woke up this morning feeling decidedly better than I did yesterday. Whilst I'm still coughing, and snuffling a lot (and even sneezing a bit), it seems that the cold has broken, and is starting to clear up, which is great (and even greater, that Mum still seems not to have succumbed).

Mum was also feeling pretty sprightly this morning; having polished off a reasonable amount of breakfast, not needing any extra pain relief, and putting on two loads of washing, all before I even got out of bed. We decided that we would make a trip out today- to run some errands at the local shops, which is the first time in I can't remember how long, that Mum has gone out for a reason other than a medical appointment. So that alone made me smile all the way to the shops.

We ran the errands; I had business at the post office, then some banking that Mum had to do (which included closing an account at one bank, and activating my power of attorney at another), then we wandered into the Mall, because Mum wanted to get some mini tarts from the cake shop. A friend had brought some when she dropped in the other day, and we really enjoyed them (and for Mum to be so enthusiastic about food was a novelty), so Mum wanted to get some more. As we wandered up to the cake shop, Mum said, "Gee, I wouldn't mind a pie for lunch.. maybe we could have that left over chicken pasta for dinner". 

So, for lunch today, Mum put away a meat pie, a glass of vege juice, one of those mini tarts with cream, and made an attempt at a cup of tea. She ate it all, didn't leave a thing, and enjoyed it. I was almost beside myself with excitement.

Today was a day of achievements all round. I finally managed to complete and send off all the Centrelink forms for my application for Carers' Allowance and Carer Payment (as I'm now officially on 'leave without pay' from my ministry work). My post office errand was to post some books which I needed to return to a friend with whom I have decided to cut ties. Now that's done, I can rule a line under that whole painful and messy situation, and move forward, free to focus on what's important right now.

Additionally, Mum had two visitors, a couple of phone calls and has been quite bright and pain free all day (needing only one preemptive Endone before we went out.). And she even had a mandarin for afternoon tea.

Tomorrow we have the lovely Sybil (our community nurse) coming in the morning, and then a follow up visit to the radiation oncologist at the San. I'm quietly hopeful that as we reach the 2-week mark post-treatement, we might be turning the corner as the harsh effects of the radiotherapy ease off, and Mum starts to have less pain and a bit more energy.

Next week we have appointments with the palliative care physio and OT, who will hopefully be able to advise us on strategies to help Mum maintain her energy and keep active.

Today has indeed been a GOOD day. Thanks be to God!


3 comments:

Di said...

Hallelujah

a pearl downunder said...

Hi Caro,
I met you at Ministry conference in Adelaide last year, and probably some other UCA things around the place. I notice you are in Sydney at the moment. I live in Sydney, if you want someone to chat with, or have coffee with, feel free to get in touch.

Patty Lawrence

Caro said...

Thanks Patty,
Would be great to catch up sometime. :-)