Friday, July 27, 2012

Thankful for the simple things...

This morning as I staggered out to the kitchen to make my breakfast (after a bit of a sleep-in), Mum received a phone call. It was from one of my cousins, who had recently been on a cruise with her husband, and she was telling Mum about her holiday. As I sat in the kitchen, I heard Mum giggling like a school girl, and engaging in some light-hearted banter on the phone. It was great to hear her so cheerful.

After lunch (or breakfast, for me) we went shopping, as Mum had an optometrist appointment in the shopping centre. Mum chose some new glasses with rather flash frames, which I think will give her a lift. We also bought two pairs of tracksuit pants for Mum to wear around the house, as all of her current pants are far too big. We got a bit of a bargain, as they were significantly reduced in price, and tonight, after we got them home, and Mum put them through the wash, she kept asking me, "how much were they again?" and enjoyed talking about what a bargain they were, especially as she keeps pointing out how great the pockets are in them. There's a sense that small things are captivating her, with the wonder of a little girl. Quite delightful, really.

Later this afternoon, as we were watching the mandatory cooking shows on TV, Mum commented that she wouldn't mind some steak for dinner, so I went up to the local butcher to get some. It was quite delicious, but the significant thing was that Mum actually fancied something specific, had an appetite and was interested in eating. Again, small and simple things, but given how hard it's been to tempt her to eat anything recently, it's great when she actually wants to eat, and expresses a preference for something in particular. (and as we were eating dinner tonight, she commented that it might be time for another pasta meal; so tomorrow night's dinner will be chicken and mushroom pasta).

Mum has also decreed that I need a dressing gown ("But Mum, I have a dressing gown, at home," "Yes, but it's not here, is it? And you could do with one here, so you can change out of your clothes and relax in front of TV at night before going to bed.") So, it seems that tomorrow we will go shopping for a dressing gown for me. 

It's great that Mum is very much more interested in the things around her, and seeking to do things and be a little active, so that life isn't revolving around her cancer and illness so much now as it was a few weeks ago. On Tuesday we are putting the car in for a service, and need to find something to do at Macquarie Centre for around three hours. So, we're looking at going to a movie (if I can find something that's screening that might interest Mum).

I know this is all boring, mundane everyday stuff, but given how difficult things have been, and how all-consuming Mum's illness has been in recent months, I'm so thankful that a little bit of 'normal' is creeping back into her life, at least for a while.

No comments: