Sunday, July 22, 2012

There's something about a roast...

A roast dinner would have to be one of the best of all comfort foods, especially in winter. It's also one of those great things that can look and taste really impressive, but only require minimal work for the cook. All it takes is a little seasoning/prep time, then chuck it all in the oven, and let it do its thing.

A roast is also a wonderfully hospitable meal. When dinner guests walk in the door, they are greeted with he delicious scent of the roasting meat and vegetables, which fills the whole house, and lingers for days afterwards.

I love cooking roasts for guests, and as a rule, I tend to overdo the vegetables just a little, both in quantity and variety. But this usually means there are plenty of leftovers to make bubble and squeak the next day.

Tonight I cooked a lamb roast for Mum and me, using a boneless mini-leg roast from the supermarket. We didn't have a huge variety of vegetables in the house, so potatoes, pumpkin, carrots and green beans would have to suffice.

The majority of roasts I've cooked at Mum's place in the past year or so have been for three people, and out of habit, I got out a huge pile of potatoes (as our usual third party liked lots and LOTS of potatoes with his roast). It was only after I'd started peeling, that it dawned on me that I didn't need that many spuds, and put the excess ones away. 

It was a stark reminder that from now on there would be no more roasts for three like the ones we had enjoyed in the past. As I thought about how much I will miss those times, it reinforced for me that sometimes making hard decisions (no matter how necessary or right they might be) can have unanticipated side-effects that can sneak up on us when we're least expecting it.

Tonight we started a new tradition- the roast for two. It was delicious, and Mum managed to eat a reasonable serve, and enjoyed it.

Small mercies, for which I'm thankful.

No comments: