Friday, July 06, 2012

So.... tired.....

I arrived in Sydney on Tuesday night, being granted an initial 2 weeks' paid annual leave, followed by up to 6 months of unpaid leave. So I'm here now for as long as it takes.

The change in Mum's demeanour since the last time I saw her is quite striking. The decent pain medications are obviously having a good effect, and she is relatively pain free now (or at least the pain she has is manageable and bearable), and it's a great relief to me that she's not suffering as much as she was. Today (Friday) she completed a two week program of radiotherapy treatment, targetting the larger of the two spinal tumours, and the pancreatic tumour. 

It appears that, at least so far, Mum has escaped any significant side effects of the radiation treatment. She is very weary, and rather lethargic; wanting to sit and vegetate in her comfy lounge chair all day, regarding the world through closed eyelids. We've been told that she may have some adverse reactions in the coming week or two, as the tumours that have been zapped grumble and complain, and as her immune system cleans up the dead tumour cells in the wake of the treatment. The radiation oncologist who has been in charge of Mum's treatment, and reviewed her case today, said that the tiredness she has been feeling is something akin to the kind of fatigue that one experiences with a big infection like the flu, where the immune system is working hard to fight the infection. She also said that Mum will probably feel worse before she starts to feel better, over the coming weeks.

But the good news is that the treatment is finished, and we don't have to make daily visits to the hospital any more (and Mum can do what she really wants to do- spend all day vegetating in her chair, without interruption).

I'm also feeling very tired. I haven't been sleeping well since my arrival here. I suspect this is partly because the bed here is not MY bed, and so is not as comfortable, but also the general anxiety I'm feeling for Mum is taking its toll.

But all in all, I can't complain. Mum is bright and reasonably cheerful, and I've had some success in tempting her to eat (she had a lovely big bowl of soup tonight). I can't find words to describe how good it is to be here, and to know that I am surrounded by the love and concern and prayers of so many friends.

But now, I think I need to go and turn on the electric blanket to warm my bed up ready for my tired body's repose.

1 comment:

Evan said...

Glad that you have some support. Caring can be tiring. I hope the side effects are managed well with the pain killers and such.