Thursday, April 26, 2007

All this right on my doorstep

I currently have some friends from Canberra staying with me- Lisa, a friend I went to uni with in Sydney back in 1983 (and yes, you can put your toes away and stop trying to calculate how old I am!) and her 15 year old daughter, Hanna (and the last time I saw Hanna she was only a baby, so it's great to see what a delightful young woman she has grown into).

Whilst the timing of their visit isn't exactly perfect, given my unfortunate preoccupation with assignments and deadlines at the moment, they have managed to amuse themselves greatly whilst here, and have managed to suss out some of the local cuisine around Brunswick and Carlton.

So tonight, as a thankyou gift to me, Lisa and Hanna did the 'hunter/gatherer' thing, and brought home a cornucopia of delicious offerings from a variety of different eateries- mostly with a Mediterranean/Middle Eastern-type slant, coming from Lebanese, Afghani and Turkish restaurants....

All exceedingly delicious (especially the amazing hot bread filled with haloumi cheese! seriously yum!). And of course, being the organised Vegemite that she is, Lisa has left me with a fistful of takeaway menus from the various establishments she has visited whilst here (most of which are just up Sydney Road or Lygon St, E Brunswick)

So this week really has been all about food!

2 comments:

BB said...

i was 13 in 1983.... ;0)

And when is a week never about food - food is life! (ah, yes, I remember living in Pascoe Vale South and the wonderful cake shops on Sydney Road...)

Caro said...

> i was 13 in 1983.... ;0)

Ahem! I thought I said not to be getting out the fingers and toes to calculate my age (I perhaps should also have said not to be thinking about how young- or unborn- one might have been at that time)