Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The rural tug...

Last Sunday morning, I was privileged to lead worship in two congregations of a parish located about an hour's drive south of Melbourne. Because of the size of the parish (3 congregations, 2 of which worship at the same time) the minister there obviously can't lead every service for every congregation, so she is working on developing a team of worship leaders on a roster basis who can take services on a semi-regular basis, so the whole process is a little more gentle for all concerned, rather than having different people every week who never get to know the congregations (or vice versa).

I enjoyed the experience, (was only disappointed that I couldn't stay long enough to have a cuppa with folk after the first service, as I had to dash off to the second congregation). The people were very friendly and welcoming. There are a couple of other theological students who have
also been recruited to take services in this parish, and I get the impression that the folks there enjoy having us sharing with them, because no matter what 'pearls of wisdom' God might bring to them through us students, there is also a strong sense that they are giving to us, by helping our training by providing the opportunity for experience, feedback and encouragement.

Even though this parish isn't exactly out in the boonies of "rural and remote" territory, there was still the lovely sense of small town community there, and it reminded me again of why I am feeling more and more drawn to the prospect of ministry in a rural setting.

An elder in one of the congregations is a retired orchardist, and when he welcomed me during the service, he joked that because I am from Tassie, he should give me some apples, to make me feel at home. As I was leaving, he came running up to my car, and presented me with a bag of apples from his orchard, saying, "I wasn't really joking when I said that!" And the apples are lovely and crisp and juicy too! I am enjoying them, and sharing them with some of my fellow students.

2 comments:

SB said...

How wonderful!
We're discussing ways we can produce resources that will assist rural parishes at NRUC.... I think there is a lot that can be done if we think outside the square.
What a wonderful oportunity for you though!
Hope to catch up soon. BB and I survived hurdle 1 at the church council meeting the other night... so now on to hurdle two!
Cheers
SB

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, the country life! I loved our years in Murrumbateman. I'd love to live in the country again.